top of page

Farmer's Bank Building

storefront with a red awning

Farmer's Bank

The McCormick Messenger Building formerly the Farmer’s Bank building is a two-story frame and masonry building constructed ca. 1911. The storefront is composed of large frame and glass double doors, plate glass display windows and three-light transom. The storefront is encompassed by a large rounded arch with radiating voussoirs and quoins. On the second story are two windows with jack arching and keystones. The windows are one-over-one sash with decorative “English Jack” design sidelights and transoms. Above the windows is a sheet metal cornice with dentils. The interior has retained its original staircase and bank vault. The Farmer’s Bank was organized in McCormick in 1907 and was one of two banks which operated in McCormick in the early 1900s. The original bank building was constructed in 1908 and stood until the fire of February 1910, which destroyed most of the commercial area. This building was completed in 1911 and reflected the classical influences of the period through its detailing. By 1916 the bank had assets of $25,000 and was a leading financial institution of the newly formed county. Listed in the National Register December 12, 1985.


The building is located at 120 S Main Street, McCormick, SC 29835.

bottom of page